need to reduce wood opening in to level floor

Old 11-04-19, 06:08 PM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
need to reduce wood opening in to level floor

I levelled the floors in two halves months apart.
As it turns out I got to a final section right above the foundation where there is this kind of opening for vents. It looks like a wood window frame. I think it used to be the crawl space vents but then it was blocked up with plywood and used as a vent for the bathroom and dryer.
This thick wood window is actually about 1" higher than the level I need to level the entire subfloor at so I need to reduce it somehow.
What would be best - a planer, sander? something else?

I doubt I can cut the whole thing out since it looks like it provides some structurak support to the wood square wall above.

Attached Images    
Old 11-05-19, 04:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 877 Votes on 807 Posts
I would not try to "thin it". It will be difficult to take an inch off especially close to the wall. Plus, it's probably acting like a header to bridge across the old opening in the foundation so you don't want to cut away half it's strength/thickness. I would remove it and the verticals at either end. Shorten the verticals and re-install it all and shim between the horizontal and the bottom of the wall.

Old 11-06-19, 03:41 AM
Q
Cut the nails with a reciprocating saw and then lever it out?
i kind of figured the only supporting bit would be under the wood square so I could only thin the part sticking out

Old 11-06-19, 05:22 AM
Q
Best way to shorten the verticals? Reciprocating saw? Then put blocking in to support the gap again under the wood square?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: