Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Original 1940 hardwood floor board has earthworm size disintegration - sawdust !

Original 1940 hardwood floor board has earthworm size disintegration - sawdust !

Old 03-15-20, 12:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Help please . What exactly am I dealing with? I see no termites.

I vacuumed , then poked at the area with a putty knife scraping out any compromised wood. Followed up with a good saturation of alcohol and borax and in about 10 more minutes I'm giving my heating gun a go at it to dry it up ,vac, tack cloth and fill . PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IM DOING WRONG OR NOT TOO WRONG. I WELCOME ALL EXPERIENCED KNOWLEDGE.

Old 03-15-20, 02:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Some type of wood eating insect like termites or carpenter ants. If you don't see live insects they may have finished eating in that area and moved on to some other part of the house. You definetely need to have your house by a professional. Termites can be very destructive and it only gets worse with time so sooner is better than later to address the problem.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 03-16-20, 01:34 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with the advice of hiring an exterminator! IMMEDIATELY! Your problem sounds like termites to me, going by past experience. You should make sure all shrubbery and/or trees all around your house are not touching the house. Then be sure that the grade level of the dirt around the foundation does not go any higher than a minimum of 3 inches below the top of the foundation. Doing those 3 things should rid your house of any existing critters and any invasions of the like in the ear future. Be sure and check with your exterminator about future retreating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: