Best/Economical Way to finish Hardwood floors with pet stains

Old 07-01-20, 01:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best/Economical Way to finish Hardwood floors with pet stains

I moved into my home a few years ago and the first thing I did was rip up the carpet to show off the hardwood floors underneath...unfortunately---now they have suffered from some pet stains and I need to refinish them.

Someone told me that the floors must not have been "sealed" I don't know if that is true--but any liquid leaves a mark usually even after a few minutes. The pet stains really did a number on them.

What can I do (if anything)--besides rent a floor sander and sand, stain, and seal the floors again.
It is just me, and the budget is not there---so I just thought I would see if there were any suggestions. I am willing to put in the work to get them done--just don't have a great budget!

Thanks.

Old 07-01-20, 03:34 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Its wood, sanding, staining, finishing is the only option.

Need to resolve the root cause first!!

Old 07-01-20, 08:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Might need some wood bleach on the stained areas.

Yes, raw wood is a disaster waiting to happen; it does need to be sealed,

Old 07-02-20, 03:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My biggest concern would be if the pet stains have seeped between the boards. Is there any odor associated with those areas? As noted above the wood needs to be sealed.

Old 07-02-20, 12:22 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The cause is no longer a problem--actually had family in the hospital for 3 months, so my doggy had to spend an unfortunate amount of time at home alone.

I know typically yes, you have to sand, stain, and seal wood. I guess I was trying to avoid having to go rent the big floor sanding machine on my own if there was another option....such as hand sanding the bad spots and then trying to match the stain? then seal the whole floor.

Someone else in another forum said I could stain it all without sanding it since it had never been sealed---but that doesn't seen like right to me---and create a difference in colors

Old 07-02-20, 12:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You could stain it without sanding although if the floor isn't level it won't fix that. Also staining over wood that has discolored from UV rays won't necessarily look great. The stain needs a minimum of 2 coats of poly. To get a nice looking job you'd apply 3 coats of poly sanding lightly between coats.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: