Help with LVP to carpet transitions

Old 07-06-20, 09:50 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with LVP to carpet transitions

I just installed LVP directly on the concrete slab in my basement and there are two different areas where it will transition to carpet. I am using the Lifeproof stuff from Home Depot and they sell this reducer but want to make sure I am doing it right. Are you supposed to just put the high part over the vinyl and let the low part go down to the slab and butt up against the carpet, or is it supposed to cover the carpet? I am confused because after reading some of the reviews, it sounds like a lot of people are adding shims under the track and doing it the opposite way but that doesn't seem right.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-20, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 566 Votes on 519 Posts
You probably need a t-moulding, not a reducer. That way it goes over both at the same time, assuming they are about the same height.

A reducer would go over the LVP and directly on the floor.

Old 07-06-20, 10:42 AM
M
Received 144 Votes on 131 Posts
Old 07-06-20, 10:48 AM
D
They are not the same height so I don't think a T would work. The carpet level is about the same height as two layers of the LVP.. These instructions show the reducer but it also looks like the carpet is lower. Maybe shimming up the track with a piece of the vinyl so that the reducer end is on the LVP and the high is on the carpet will work after all? Or do you see a better way?

Old 07-06-20, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
If the carpet is higher, you can shim it up with a strip of LVP. Then turn the transition around. Put the high side over the carpet and the low side over the LVP.

Just be sure you gap the edge of the floor correctly so it doesn't butt up to the shim or metal track.

Old 07-06-20, 11:31 AM
D
Ok I will give it a try. Are those tracks usually glued to concrete with liquid nails or screwed? I also have one end that butts up to an exterior double door and the bottom of the door sits at about 3 planks high. Would you use the reducer and just put the low end down to the slab to butt against that bottom door sill like shown in those instructions? It would mostly be there just to keep those planks secure, right?

Old 07-06-20, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
If you are on concrete you will need to drill and use a plastic anchor and screws. I like these type.

Old 07-09-20, 09:16 AM
D
Actually, do you think this transition would be better? It says it is for carpet but I can't tell how it would work from looking at the picture. The flat edge must go over the LVP but then would the big end just go straight down to the ground with the edge of carpet butting against it? Anyone have any experience using this one? It doesn't look like it is in stores though so I can't go there to take a look without ordering it first.