In ProcessAdSlots.php line 39: Trying to access array offset on value of type null

Wood floor transition split (kid jumped bike over it and didnít clear)

Old 07-10-20, 07:03 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood floor transition split (kid jumped bike over it and didnít clear)

Hey, wondering what the best way to repair this would be. Iíve got a wood floor transition that my kid jumped his bike over and landed on and now itís split and apparently had a small gap under it that allows some flex when pressed on which makes only a glue fix non functional long term because it will just split again. Am I supposed to put shims under it or some caulk? How would you handle this? It isnít across the entire length of the transition, maybe a couple feet long.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-20, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
It looks like that edge where it cracked is not sitting flush to the floor.
If that was me I'd replace the saddle.

Old 07-10-20, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Either replace it or try to fix it.

To fix it, tap some toothpicks into the crack to drive it apart... then squirt wood glue into the crack... rub it around with a flat toothpick... get it into the crack as deep as you can. Then remove the toothpicks that were keeping it spread open. Then lay a couple 1x4s on the floor, one on each side of the transition, and clamp the 1x4s together with several bessey clamps to squeeze the transition together. Wipe off any glue that squeezes out with a wet rag. Then leave it clamped for 4 hrs or so.

then see if the transition will go down any more. Lay a short 2ft long piece of 2x4 on top of it and whale on it with a hammer... maybe it has just worked it's way up over the years. If it goes back down you might try putting a few finish screws in it to hold it down better.

I'd be arrested for child abuse if I has a kid that was riding a bike in the house.

Old 07-11-20, 06:29 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok, I got some wood clamps, will try to glue it again tonight opening up the crack with toothpicks to get the glue in their good and then see about hammering the piece down once that is dry. If the piece doesn't go down, then what should I do? Just jam some caulk in the gap and hope that's good enough or something else?

Old 07-11-20, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure I would attempt to caulk it. Even clear caulk is not invisible, so I dont know that it would look good. Replacing it would take some woodworking skills and a table saw for sure.

if you do decide to caulk it, I would mask off the floor and edge of the transition to only leave the crack exposed that you want to caulk. Then caulk it, tool it with your finger or a thin putty knife, then immediately remove the tape, and tool one last time if needed. Depending on what kind of caulk you use, when you tool caulk you want to wet your finger or putty knife with water (for latex) or paint thinner (if the caulking is solvent based). Do NOT use silicone here.

Old 07-11-20, 07:13 AM
M
Received 151 Votes on 138 Posts
I would not be smacking on it after the glue fix, you might just mess up you fix.
I would do that first.

I would shim under it rather than calk.
I would just use cereal box or similar cardboard,
Push it in as far as you can.
Then additional layers as needed.
Then trim it off with an exacto knife.

The above of course depends on the depth you need to fill.

Old 07-11-20, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Trying to smack it down first is a good idea. The way it is cracked leads me to believe that the transition is a solid piece of wood, at least 1" thick with just a 1/4" lip rabbeted out of the edge. That 1/4" lip covers the edge of the 3/4 thick flooring. The picture doesnt show the opposite side so cant get much more perspective than that. But IMO if there is a gap there, it "should" go back down since it was likely tight when it was originally installed. Deflection in the floor joists in the area most people walk could cause it to ride up on the nails. Which is why screws would be better.

Old 07-12-20, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
The odds are caulking will look bad - sooner or later. Unpainted caulk is prone to attract dirt.