Can I float 3/8" engineered hardwood over solid hardwood?

Old 07-28-20, 08:22 PM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can I float 3/8" engineered hardwood over solid hardwood?

I found a deal on engineered click-lock hardwood that's tough to pass up. I have old carpet in a room on top of old solid hardwood. I've sanded/refinished this flooring before in a similar house, but it took a lot of work, and I can put new engineered hardwood on top for about what it would cost just to rent the sander. It's a small room, only about 10x10 that doesn't see heavy traffic.

1. I've read some people say that 3/8" is borderline for floating, and that nailing may be necessary. Could I float it over the hardwood, or would it need to be nailed?

2. If I did this, should there be any special type of vapor barrier/felt/whatever on top of the old hardwood?

Here's a pic... thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-20, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
As long as it's a click lock, it's primarily meant to be a floating floor. You would use rosin paper or felt paper under it, making sure that the floor is flat enough to meet or exceed the mfg's standards. And if you find any squeaks, this is the time to try to fix them.

tiresharkdbb voted this post useful.
Old 07-29-20, 07:17 PM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks Xsleeper. I contacted the manufacturer, and they said the same thing you did... it's ok to float, and just use an underlayment pad.

I had asked them if 15# felt was needed, b/c in their FAQ, they specified that if it was being nailed down, it would need 15# felt. They said no, and to just use an underlayment pad... so I guess 15# felt and an underlayment pad are two different things.

This was their text:

Yes, the click flooring can be floated over any flat, structurally sound substrate including existing solid hardwood. You would not need 15# felt, only an underlay pad for floating floors.
Thanks again.

Old 07-29-20, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Yeah, I looked up the product on Home Depot and they recommend an underlayment.

tiresharkdbb voted this post useful.