Can hardwood floor height be adjusted to make flush

Old 09-23-20, 07:18 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can hardwood floor height be adjusted to make flush

Hello,
I'm having my ceramic tile installed tomorrow and when the tile is done I'm having HW installed in the adjoining room. I have the hardwood planks and the tile guy said they'd do there best to line up a piece of hardwood with the tile so that when the hardwood s installed in a few weeks they'll end up flush after they've both been installed.

It seems impossible to get it dead on so I assume the hardwood install person will need to adjust a little, maybe 1\8 to 1\4 inch. Is it possible to adjust a hardwood install a bit so it will be perfectly flush with the installed tile? Or if it's off by a little bit will I have a small lip?

If it matters the tile will go to the beginning of the threshold and the hardwood guy said he'll put 2 strips of hardwood across the threshold when he meets the tile.

Old 09-23-20, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 660 Upvotes on 560 Posts
My tile and 3/4" hardwood is 1/8 or less of a difference in height. I have had zero issues with that small of a lip.

That said, I'm sure the hardwood guy can adjust the height of the wood to make it as close as possible.

Old 09-23-20, 10:56 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nice great Idea! Thank you for sharing your idea. glad i found this forum!

Old 09-24-20, 12:15 AM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
If the offset is minimal, you can soften the edge of of the hardwood by routering a radius to the edge of the wood,

My transition between wood and tile is 3/16" (tile higher) and nobody has said anything about that.

Anything greater and a transition piece would be needed!

Old 09-24-20, 06:14 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would be in the same boat, more than likely my tile would be higher than the hard wood. I was hoping that if that's the case, you can tilt or raise the hardwood a bit to meet the tile but I don't know if that's something installers do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: