Seal in concrete before underlay and laminate install?

Old 11-21-20, 12:02 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seal in concrete before underlay and laminate install?

HI everyone. Hoping to get some more opinions on this issue. I searched the forums without luck.

I have a small 1250 rancher on a slab that I will be re doing the floor on. I'm redoing it because the previous person did a midnight laminate job before putting it on the market to sell......to me. :/

Anyway, I have selected a 12mm AC4 laminate. Very Good Quality.
The underlayment is from Eco Cork Foam. A very good quality high density underlayment with attached 6 mil vapor barrier.

Both products are OK to use on concrete....but I fear moisture, and always like going the extra mile IF it is worth it (has some sort of measurable upside)

So, wondering if I should also lay down a coating of a rubber membrane to seal the concrete? I have used interior rated products such as Elastolock (used to be called Flex Shield) for bathroom applications and wondering if anyone has done this prior to installing underlayment and flooring?

I contacted Elastolock and Eco Cork Foam. They were very helpful but had differing opinions. Elastolock said yes. Totally safe and can be used for my application. Eco Cork Foam said they can't recommend using it......

Long winded question, I know! haha. But I want to get this right as I live in a high moisture area and being on a slab can create moisture problems. Any insight on sealing interior slab concrete before installing the underlayment and floor? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-20, 03:55 PM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
So if you ever have future issues who would pay the bill, the flooring company that provided their recommendation or the underlayment company?

Go with the flooring requirements.

BTW, do you really want to put down cheap laminate, that stuff is so 90's!

Old 11-21-20, 07:19 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey Marq. Thanks for the reply....and excellent point. Both the laminate and the underlay are warrantied and I'm not going to do anything that would jeopardize that.

I'll have to find out if the application of the membrane could void the warranty.