Best floor sander for "fancier" hardwood style?

Old 06-02-21, 05:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best floor sander for "fancier" hardwood style?

I've done a fair share of refinishing hardwoods, but they have all been straight boards. I've always heard not to go against grain using a drum sander, so I am wondering the best sander for the pictured floors?

They have a single layer of finish on them, only seems to be poly and not stained. I had been hoping to get by with a screen and recoat, but there are scratches. Also there are areas where finish peeled/blistered so underlying wood is "dirty".

Can I remove finish with only a square buff machine, using 2-3 stages of grit(can get as low as 24g)? Or would a random orbital be better?

Thanks!

Old 06-03-21, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 963 Votes on 884 Posts
You can do it with a square vibratory sander but it will be slower than a drum machine. Vibratories also don't remove material as fast so it will take longer to eat through scratches. And, if the floor is not even a vibratory isn't as good at smoothing and leveling.

For your floor I'd probably go for a patinaed, aged look and not try to remove all the marks. Just give it a good scuffing and apply another layer of sealer. If you want a like new look I'd go for a drum sander and give it the full treatment.

James77 voted this post useful.
Old 06-03-21, 03:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
There were some terrible areas on the floor. Someone had taped down a coouple square areas to extension cords (I guess?) under. This had ripped the finish off and those areas were dirty wood from decades of being bare while the remaining floor was sealed.

So I went with drum sander...not sure what I was worried about! The old finish was incredibly hard to remove even with 24g and 36g paper going against the grain. It would have taken me a week removing the finish with square buff.

I am going with the square buff for the higher grit sanding before I apply poly to it. Being bare wood now I think will have that type of sander work better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: