Oak hardwood floor refinishing question - partial "touch up"

Old 07-22-21, 12:25 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oak hardwood floor refinishing question - partial "touch up"

About 15 years ago I sanded (well done) and stained our oak wood floor with water-based poly stain. Overall, it came out good but the worst part was that my first coat was too thick in some spots and left some dark stain under the next few coats. I'd like to refinish with a light sanding but can I thoroughly sand (to the bare wood) those darker spots, put on a coat or two over those areas and then do the whole floor?

Also, most of the floor is just a bit worn on the surface but a few areas have some deeper/darker wear. Is there a way to remove that "dirt" stain without sanding those areas deeper. Hopefully some way to kind of bleach it out. It's not "bad", just some dark "sliverey" stains.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 07-22-21, 12:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
While you can lightly sand and freshen up the finish, getting rid of the dark spots will likely need a complete sanding and refinishing.

Old 07-22-21, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,531 Posts
Trying to sand down and touch up a limited section of a floor is not a good idea since it will never blend in perfectly with the rest of the floor. Especially with a poly/stain you will always get a darker ring around the repair where you overlap the new tinted poly over the old.

Old 07-22-21, 01:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Upvotes on 1,145 Posts
Two problems - you've seen the first in that the tinted poly products are difficult to use and get good results and touching up is hard to make seamless. It might be time to bite the bullet and completely refinish the floor.

Old 07-23-21, 03:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
... and if I remember correctly it states on the label that tinted polys aren't recommended for floors.

Old 07-23-21, 10:53 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay, thanks. I might do a small test area just to check it out. Just to be "clear" (LoL), the poly wasn't stained, it was clear but darker in some areas because I make it too thick on the first coat (I didn't "swipe" it with the brush as consistently as I finally figured out).

Thanks,
BB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: