The floor refinishing odyssey

Old 08-29-21, 08:51 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The floor refinishing odyssey

Hello All.

I have a floor that was recently refinished. The clear coat was a satin oil based.

The floor finishers weren't very good and their application was splotchy. 3 days after they finished, I went over the top with two coats of Zar waterborne Polyurethane.

Everything went really well and the finish was great. Two days later lined the floor with cardboard boxes and wheeled the fridge on a furniture dolly into place.

Now I have tracks in the floor.

My idea to fix is this:

1. touch in the divots with a little water based urethane.
2. lightly block sand across
3. brush a coat across the track.

My question is this: If you brush a spot with the satin finish, will it blend into the already dried finish? Really trying to avoid refinishing the entire room.

thx

Old 08-29-21, 09:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,248 Upvotes on 1,192 Posts
IMO, you've made a complex mess there by having both oil based and water based products in the finish. First is because it's possible you'll have adhesion issues with the water over the oil but more is because the oil based finish adds an amber tint and the water does not. So, if the oil based product is not damaged, you wouldn't want to add any more of that to keep from changing the color of the floor. Conversely, if it were and you only added more of the water based product, the same problem in the other direction of the colors could happen. Generally speaking, spot repairs work best if you re-finish entire boards, as differences between boards are less noticed than differences within the same board.

Paul Oberman voted this post useful.
Old 08-30-21, 10:10 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. These are all indentation damages, so the finish is not broken.

I will probably do full board recoats. I did find this product for indentation damage.

DENT REPAIR

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: