Should this be replaced?

Old 08-12-22, 02:24 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Should this be replaced?

Working on renovating this 40 year old house and my husband says this underlayment doesn't have to be replaced. He's only going to replace the parts where there are water stains. It's particle board and in this particular room it looks like there are mold spots everywhere? Or maybe it's just dirty glue, not sure. He says it's sticky! I guess I'm just grossed out that we're not going to replace it all. We're trying to save money but I just wanted your opinions! We're going to put LVP flooring downstairs and carpet upstairs!

Old 08-12-22, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
I usually tear out particle board when I encounter it because it's problematic. If it's still flat and no nail squeaks, it can stay... just use a mold primer on it if that worries you.

Carpet cleaning is destructive on particle board. And if you are putting down LVP the main thing is flat.

Old 08-12-22, 03:51 PM
S
XSleeper thank you so much! That mold primer made me feel so much better! Hubby didn't know about it either 🙂 I can see how particle board and carpet would be problematic for carpet cleanings. I guess we'll have to put some sort of moisture barrier down (or the carpet installers will) I will have to research that one! Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-12-22, 05:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Not mold. Just black off the carpet pad. It will be fine as long as no soft spots.

Old 08-12-22, 05:19 PM
S
Good to know! Thank you, Sam!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: