Hardwood flooring in Kitchen

Old 01-31-24, 09:02 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hardwood flooring in Kitchen

Hello, I would like to match my kitchen flooring to existing Hardwood flooring in Dining room. Currently have laminate flooring in kitchen that I put in after kitchen upgrade, many years ago which involved opening wall up to dining room. Looks awful and should never have done that because it doesn't match at all! I would like to match existing hardwood with new hardwood as best that I can. Currently have threshold separating flooring.
- Is it a good idea to use Solid Hardwood flooring in Kitchen? I feel that its my best shot at matching the look of the floor with the existing floor.
- Would I buy unfinished hardwood for kitchen if I can find that, then sand down dining room hardwood floor, then stain both floors to try and match it? If I cant find unfinished, would finished be ok and sand that down?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by ednorton1; 01-31-24 at 09:04 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 01-31-24, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I would not want hardwood in the kitchen, But if you do, sanding both down and staining would give the closest match

ednorton1 voted this post useful.
Old 01-31-24, 10:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 755 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue to find unfinished hardwood.
fwiw - I put down parquet in my kitchen 22 yrs ago and it still looks good.

Old 01-31-24, 11:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
I have American Cherry (real wood) in my kitchen which was installed in 2002. My wife is an amateur chef and everything in the kitchen gets used hard every day. American cherry is a rather soft hardwood so it's probably as bad a situation as you could have and there have been no issues. Spills get cleaned up sorta quick and the occasional ice cube left to melt hasn't harmed anything. I've also had many rental houses that had yellow pine as their kitchen flooring with no trouble.

In the rentals real wood did much better than sheet vinyl, premium vinyl plank and VCT. With those synthetic materials any water left on the floor would seep through the gaps and get between and sit on the OSB or plywood subflooring causing more damage. Even a slight swelling of the subfloor would telegraph through the synthetic material on top looking bad. Looking back, synthetic flooring could be killed in one year or might last ten in a harsh rental environment. The real wood floors were installed when the houses were built between the 20's and 50's and were still being used when I sold the houses.

I actually like solid, real wood. It's very easy to maintain and can be repaired. Ships & houses have been made from wood for thousands of years so I wouldn't freak out about it.

Old 01-31-24, 06:27 PM
Received 395 Upvotes on 344 Posts
Previous owner took down a wall between dining and kitchen. After living with black vinyl tile in the entire area for many years we had the tile removed and found original white oak floor in the dining room area. We had the same flooring merged in and extended into the kitchen in 2008. The entire floor was then sanded and refinished with three coats of polyurethane. The floor is still in great shape. The one area that might get more wear in front of counter, sink, stove has a painted canvas floor cloth runner.

Old 01-31-24, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
I put hardwood in my folks dining room and kitchen when I remodeled it. Mom prefers wood floors in the kitchen. But she did put an area rug down in the kitchen. Probably so that dad has something to trip on.

Old 02-01-24, 07:13 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I've had hardwood floors in our kitchen for 30 years. The floor was vinyl when we bought the house, I tiled it shortly after and when we renovated the kitchen a couple of years later I installed wood. Now I wooden have it any other way.

Sanding a wood floor is probably not DIY if you haven't don't have experience. You could have it sanded by a flooring company and stain and poly it yourself.

Old 05-13-24, 08:25 AM
A
I love hardwood floors for their pleasing aesthetic appeal, but what I've observed in my kitchen has made me reconsider. Moisture is a constant issue, exacerbated by our maid's carelessness in wiping spills. Tea stains from accidental spills during serving have become a common occurrence. While hardwood flooring adds value to spaces like the lounge or bedroom, I now see it as a less-than-ideal option for the kitchen, still opinion vary from person to person

Old 05-14-24, 07:53 AM
E
alvarogandara, Thanks for reply. It sounds like you need to clean those hardwood kitchen floors as a "Do It Yourself Project"

alvarogandara voted this post useful.
Old 05-23-24, 12:22 PM
A
Exactly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: