Suitable subfloor?

Old 07-15-01, 10:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I am preparing to install a 3/4" red oak. I am in the process of removing particle board, which leaves 1/2" of plywood subfloor. If I run the oak perpendicular to the joists, as well as making sure I nail into them, is this subfloor enough? I realize that similar questions have been asked, but after reading previous posts for an hour, I still hadn't found a definitive answer.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-01, 02:15 PM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Olds:

I see no reason why you can't go over the 1/2" ply, providing you do nail into the joists and run the floor perpendicular. I would suggest in obtaining the longest nail/staple(2") available for HW installation.

Once you lay the desirable moisture/tweak retarder(15# roofing paper) on the plywood and secure it with staples, snap some chalklines so you know where the joists are. My suggestions may seem odd for those that may follow this, but that's the way alot of flooring was installed prior to the subfloor days, but they dealt with HW lengths of 10 feet and more.

Trying to span short pieces over the joists may pose a problem, and I would keep them for firewood(unless they ARE prefinished), or if you have alot of closets to place them. Or if you have alot of "shorts" place them in areas less travelled.

I'm beginning to think twice about my suggestions, but those are my views.

Old 07-17-01, 09:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Ken,
Thanks for the reply. We have done a bit of research and have decided to do all of what you have suggested. I was going to use 1 1/2" nails, but will consider the 2". Thanks again.

Paul