Hardwood on stair-teps

Old 08-16-01, 08:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Soon I'll be installing hardwood all over the house. I am new at this but I trust this forum s to help me like it did with my bathroon project. The situation is as follows: one side of the stair is against a wall so no problem with it I am planning to put moldings on that side but, the other side of the stair is exposed to the living room and I do not know how to finish the side of the hardwood, and the nosing so it will look nice on the side. I did not see a molding that will cover that. Thank you in advance
Piru

Old 08-17-01, 10:16 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hardwood on stairs

I am not an installer, I just sell hardwood floors. Most folks buy their stair parts from a retailer of treads and risers, so this is not an issue. I have however had customers tell me they installed the hardwood strips on stairs and used nosing along the front and sides. If nosing is used on fronts and sides, this would require a mitre. I believe I would do some more research before installing hardwood on stairs. Perhaps Ken Fisher or someone else on this forum will come along with some great advice. I have personally never been in a home where hadwood flooring strips or planks were installed on stairs. Most folks tend to purchase treads and risers.

Old 08-18-01, 12:16 PM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Patricia:

You have the right ideas, but in P's case I would suggest in calling a professional. Steps are usually a common focal point in a home and to use any type of moldings(qtr'd, shoemold) on a closed side looks cheesy in my opinion.

Old 08-18-01, 12:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you guys for the advice.
twelvepole: By treads and risers you mean that the steps and the risers will all be of one piece? That sound very expensive and how do I match the color if I buy the flooring and the stairs in different stores?

Ken: I just came back from a flooring store and they have these quarter rounds on the closed side of the stairs in their shop. The quarter round goes from the back of the step to aproximastely 3 inches from the front. Honestly, I assume they are professionally installed and they still look cheesy. The quarter round on the back of the steps , against the risers, look OK I do not have much problem with them. The ugly ones are the ones on the side.

Thank you again,
Piru

Old 08-18-01, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
One more thing, they suggested to use the nosing on the side with the miter cut. And to use a half round molding to cover the side of the riser. Just posted this one if someone comes up with the same question. Don't know if I trust these guys after the job they did with their own stairs. LOL.
And I saw a picture of a house in which the riser is flashed into the wall. So, from the side you cannot see the riser. Opinions on this method and how to acomplish it.
Thanks again guys.
Piru

Old 08-18-01, 01:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

P:

Well, perhaps it's a carpet store you went to, or the steps are much older and some work was done with the stringers over the years and the reason for the qtr'd? Just guessin' here.

There's no reason for the qtr'd for newly installed steps and it just seems like a case of a shoddy installation in what you saw. Solid or engineered wood will not expand and contract with the grain running lengthwise so it can be "net fitted" against both sides. In your case butted to "the wall" and the corresponding nosing.

As per the riser qtr'd, steps should be built from the bottom and going up. One should start with the riser first with the correct scribing so the next tread will fit sound and "level" Now I know I'm throwing this off a whee bit..Ut oh..<g> Forget level, just go with the height of the existing riser substrate.

Now, one will need to attach the nosing securely! This is getting long and I don't think I can go through with it, as there are far too many variables. In any event one should leave some space at the backside of the tread for the cross grain movement that wood needs.

Once the tread is "built" another riser gets constructed and it should cover the gap left on the backside of the step. Hence no need for qt'rd. Thanks for coming back In reference to Patricia's comments, solid treads and risers are the norm in many areas and they can get pricey especicially when considering the "open areas" that lead to the living room. You would need someone to come out and measure those areas for the better looking "return."

What's the budget?

Old 08-24-01, 01:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you Ken for all the advice.

Budget is always tight. I have 13 steps in total. 6 in the first half and 7 on the second half of the stairs after the turn.

My concern on the stairs and risers more than the budget is that my wife (God bless her) wants the stairs to be the EXACT same wood color with the rest oft he house. So, I thought that the constructions of the treads and risers (I learn the words) with the same flooring materials was my only option. I already came to terms with the idea of buying all matching nosing fromt he same manufacturer of the floor. Pretty much if I buy the flooring during a good sale the moldings is where they will get all their money back. isn't it?

Still if I can buy the risers and treads with the perfectly matching color I don't want to pay more than $100.00 per step.

Is my budget outrageously low for the stairs?

I feel like I have to apologize for the being so cheap. But I am a lawyer by trade turned Import Export Executive and the way we get involved in DIY is to save some bucks. After that is such a thrill to have the work done with your own hands that as soon as you finished one project you are looking for the next one.

Anyway

Thanks

P

Old 08-24-01, 02:23 PM
Visiting Guest
P:

It looks like you're getting closer to the end. I haven't seen any discussion on prepping the steps unless I've already mentioned it..long week.

Here's another thought. Use unfinished solid treads and poplar risers that are painted white. Why poplar? It's a good paintable "hardwood" That in itself will keep it well under $100 per step.

Trying to match a prefinished product and it's factory finish requires someone with special skills...hence the cost goes up substantially. Oh, you'll never find a solid tread matching the prefinished floor. They don't make 'em.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: