Adding Pergo to existing Pergo

Old 01-08-02, 05:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Adding Pergo to existing Pergo

Has anyone ever added new Pergo to an existing Pergo site? We knocked out a couple of walls and now we need to extend the exisiting Pergo into the new space. I tried pulling up a plank and it seemed to damage the tongue. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-09-02, 01:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Extending an existing Pergo floor

Extending an existing Pergo floor would require you to find the same or similar type Pergo product. Take a piece of the existing floor and go to a Pergo dealer to try to match it. Follow manufacturers instructions for installation and to maintain product warranties.

Old 01-09-02, 03:33 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Depending on the age of the existing Pergo floor this could be a problem. Color, texture and joint design has changed over the years. The best idea is in fact, "Take a piece of the existing floor and go to a Pergo dealer"

Old 01-09-02, 04:58 PM
Visiting Guest
adding Pergo to existing Pergo

Thanks guys, but maybe I didn't make myself clear. We put in the exisiting Pergo about three years ago and have already purchased the additional flooring. Same brand, same style, etc. The problem is in joining the new and the old. The old Pergo ends in a straight line where the wall used to be. If I added the new stuff in the same straight line it would look pretty obvious. So I need to pull up some of the old planks to stagger the joint, right? But pulling up the planks damages the tongue of the flooring that remains. That's the problem.

Old 01-09-02, 05:28 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Maybe... maybe not. Is the flooring that is in place faded, bleached or otherwise "discolored"? Has maintenance caused a surface haze? If both questions are answered NO, why not just go ahead, and maybe that should have been the first question. If you break tongues, you can rout new groove for the replacement planks but it takes a steady hand, a special router bit and having done it before would be helpful.

Old 01-14-02, 08:35 AM
GerBa
Visiting Guest
Timfl.
Assuming that the floor runs in the direction you want to continue going ie North/South you would need to carfully cut out the stagger in the end peices and install the new into the slots in the same manner as you would when repairing a damaged peice in the middle of the flooring. The instructions for this should be available where you bought the flooring or possibly at the Pergo website, if you don't already have them.

Old 01-17-02, 09:49 AM
Jamie_guest
Visiting Guest
Wink

Check out the instruction videa ($6) for Pergo. At the end, there is a section (for professionals) that explains how to do this. Good luck.

Old 01-22-02, 09:11 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
How long of a stretch is this? I seem to remember that there's a limitation on how big a room you can do. If that's the case then you might need to break it up w/a transition piece.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: