Wood laminates over concrete

Old 02-01-02, 11:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Wood laminates over concrete

I would like to install wood laminates in my basement (pergo, shaw, etc). Because it's just a basement and place for kids, I don't want to spend a lot.

Is it ok to lay glued models (glue seams) without glueing the seams? The glued versions can be found for $1/sq ft vs $2.50 - 3/sq ft for the glueless versions (click together). I still plan on placing vapor barrier and foam (or foam that acts also as a barrier).

Assuming my floor is level, can the glue versions be glued to the floor directly?

Thanks.

Old 02-01-02, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 2 Posts
If you glue right to the floor then there wont be a vapor barrier, right. Kids are rough on floors, use the floating floor type, with BOTH vapor barrier and pad designed for floating floor. As a test place a large sheet of plastic on the floor say 3' X 3' with the edges taped down. After several days pull up and see if it is moist ( in most cases it will be wet ) all that moisture will go into your laminet with out a barrier. If it is a cost factor paint it and throw down some small rugs. Glue the seams thats the it's made, it could be easier than you think.

Old 02-04-02, 08:21 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
This is a sad exchange, indeed!

Glued assembly flooring requires glue to assemble!!!!! Glueless does not. The less expensive laminate flooring is less expensive because the joints do not require either precise or tight joints. The glue is required to fill the less precise tongue and groove voids and offer some resistance to moisture while glueless has extra "moisture proofing" and tight precise joints. Laminate floors require a floating installation.

The moisture test only requires 24 to 30 hours to develope moisture "droplets" under a 24" to 30" square piece of polyethylene sheeting that has been fastened to the concrete with duct tape to indicate the neccessity for a Professional testing procedure. Moisture, even with a moisture barrier can destroy a laminate or wood floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: