stenciling over polyurethane?

Old 02-17-02, 09:10 AM
cpllawson
Visiting Guest
stenciling over polyurethane?

We recently sanded our wood floors and put down water based polyurethane. Being notorious for poor timing, we've now decided that it would be cool to paint the floor of one room and do some border stenciling. I've read a million threads about this and checked out the recommended web sites, but none tell me specifically if I can paint/stencil over the poly. I REALLY don't want to have to sand the poly off, so can someone please tell me that they've successfully painted directly over it? Also, I'd like to use an oil based paint for durability, but I'm not sure how that's going to react/adhere over the water based. Help!

Old 02-21-02, 10:46 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
You may be able to do it . What i would do is try it in a small area to see what will happen. I do know that after you stencil and paint a wood floor you do need to apply poly over the top to protect it from wear. This will seal the paint so it will not come off. As far as using an oil based paint that i don't know. the ones that i have seen done have been craft paint and then sealed with poly. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: