Hardwood Floor Refinishing Question

Old 03-04-02, 07:34 AM
jzarella
Visiting Guest
Hardwood Floor Refinishing Question

my hardwood floors are in good shape, they are 8 years old...but they just dont have any shine to them, they look dull, dirty, tired...they show
dull skuffs... I had a guy give me an estimate to refinish them by sanding, staining and poly-ureothaning but, he said they do not really need it.. Question, is there a product that just restores the poly-ureothane look? can I just clean them and put on a couple coats of poly-ureothane? I need expert recommendation here? thanks!

Old 03-05-02, 06:21 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
if they are in good shape as you say you can rough up the finish with 220gt sandpaper and clean up all the dust with vaccum and tack cloth and apply a semi-gloss poly to then. I would recomend two coats. Make sure to sand with the 220 between coats to get a good adhesion.

Old 03-05-02, 08:03 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Refinishing wood floors

The polyurethane finish on wood floors will wear and become dull over time due to use, abuse, improper cleaning, sunlight, and age. Poly finished floors should be cleaned with damp mop squeezed nearly dry. All they really need is a damp mopping with water. There are commercial cleaners available that are recommended for poly finished floors. The National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's Assoc. does not frown upon using 1/4 cup white vinegar in 1 gallon of water. Never use products that contain waxes or oils. Murphy's Oil Soap is not recommended. Poly finished floors should never be waxed. When the finish on wood floors becomes dull and worn, particularly in high traffic areas, it is time to refinish.

Go to www.finishingwoodfloors.com for more info about the care and maintenance of wood floors and refinishing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: