Which to do first- floors/wall paint?

Old 03-09-02, 08:49 AM
NewNeighbor
Visiting Guest
Which to do first- floors/wall paint?

I am refinishing a house I just bought. I have conflicting information (from professional floor refinishers) on what to do first - refinish hardwood floors, or paint walls. Floors will be done professionally, painting by me.

Old 03-09-02, 10:34 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My recommendation is to have the floors done first. Why? Because the base molding will deffinately not get scraped up if the the paint is still fresh and the sander hits it a few times. You can then put down some drop cloths and paint the walls. Any drops of latex will easily come off newly finished floors as well as any paint from the brush if it hits beneath the base molding. You could also paint the ceilings and walls and do the base after....This way you have less chances to scratch the floor with ladders or pans......

Old 03-09-02, 01:22 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
wrong, wrong, wrong, The floor is the last thing you have done because the floors are being done professionaly any good floor mechanic that you hire to refinish floors always REMOVES THE MOLDING TO DO SO. Speaking from experience the hardest thing to get off a wood floor besides adhesive is paint !!!
get all your painting, drywall etc. done before you call to have your floors done.

Old 03-09-02, 01:56 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From experience.....The floor refinishers in this area do not remove base molding..... If they did then a proffesional paint job with caulked seems would be ruined and/or require many touch ups..Fresh Latex paint is easily removed from a newly finished floor.

Old 03-09-02, 06:49 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Drop a Hammer, Ruin a Floor

Plumbing, cabinets, paint, all the trades that use hammers, chisels, scrapers etc. can really screw up a new or refinished floor. Floors after the moisture drys, and that includes putty, patch and paint. Trim can be last if care is taken but in the big stuff pecking order the floor is last. You know the saying, "don't sweat the small stuff, that means trim and touch up. If the floor were a new install the moldings would go on after everthing.

Old 03-21-02, 04:24 AM
Viking Girl
Visiting Guest
We are floor finishers and we recommend to people that they do all their painting first but leave the skirting boards undercoated and don't put the final coat of them until after we've left. People are quite happy to do this and it works for us.

Paint is easy to get of the floor if it is still wet but almost impossible when it's dry.

Old 03-21-02, 09:50 PM
violet_gem2000
Visiting Guest
I did it back wards was self but came out pretty good.

Hey new nieghbor My husband and I redid our bathroom floor ourselves subfloor and vynal floor. I then discover that it didn't go with the paint so I painted after the floor got done. I put down tape plastic and did very well I just was very carefull of what i was doing. and if I did spill i did wipe it up right away even though it didn't go tothe floor it self. that was my way but maybe you should paint first after all your getting your floor done professionally. a friendly friend

Old 03-22-02, 10:49 PM
jlob66
Visiting Guest
Sanding a floor creates an amazing amount of dust; that is why is was traditionally done first.
BUT if you do the floors first, you must cover them with real drop cloths (not plastic sheets.)
If your floors were ever assualted with carpeting;
SAVE the carpet; re-do the floors, and put the old carpet down until the room is finished.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: