hardwood floors rewaxing

Old 03-10-02, 07:37 PM
cazielyn
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up hardwood floors rewaxing

i have an older home with beautiful hardwood threwout 7 of the nine rms and they need to be refinished but right now i cant afford to rent a sander to do it right so i want to wax them because they are still stained and nice but dull and i have looked and looked for cleaning stuff to shine em up and did try to wax em once but they just dont shine was wondering if u had suggestions on easy shince stuff or waxes that worked the best

Old 03-11-02, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cazielyn,
Normally, hardwood floors(with a polyurthane finish) should not be waxed. If they are so dull they don't shine at all - is surely due to a severe scratching problem. It's probably time to refinish.
The main reason poly floors should not be waxed is that many waxes contain silicone and it will present serious problems for applying the next finish.
fred

Old 03-11-02, 09:14 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waxing hardwood floors

Never wax a hardwood floor that has polyurethane or other surface finish, as the wax will interfere with the refinishing process. Use only a pH neutral cleaner recommended for polyurethane finish. Avoid products that contain abrasives, waxes, and oils as these can dull and soften finishes over time. Manufacturer's of prefinished poly wood products do not recommend Murphy's Oil Soap as it is an oil-based cleaner. The National Oak Floor Manufacturing Assoc. does not frown upon 1/4 cup water in 1 gallon of water. Once floors become dull, particularly in high traffic areas, it is time to refinish. Go to www.finishingwood floors.com for helpful info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: