Engineered wood over a lot of old flooring

Old 03-14-02, 07:29 AM
SixFe
Visiting Guest
Question Engineered wood over a lot of old flooring

Hello,

I am redoing my kitchen and plan on floating an engineered wood floor by Universal.

My current floor consists of a 3/4" subfloor, then 3/4" plywood with tile, then 1/4" plywood with tile, then 1/4" plywood with sheet vinyl, or linoleum.

The floor is sound, flat and level and is above an unheated basement in central CT.

I was wondering if I need to rip up some of the old floor, or just add another layer. The house was built in 1957, so asbestos is likely. Another question is about the sheet vinyl. If I need a vapor barrier (I haven't seen the instructions for this floor yet) is the sheet vinyl adequate?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Old 03-14-02, 06:22 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing floating engineered floor

The advantage of floating engineered floors is that they can be installed over existing flat floor coverings. Take into consideration the new height of the floor after installation and making the transition from the the new floor to adjacent floors. A vapor retarder is not necessary. Following manufacturer's installation and preparation instructions are very important to maintaining product warranties.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: