ideas for re-covering stairs (not carpet)

Old 03-17-02, 07:31 PM
becter
Visiting Guest
Question ideas for re-covering stairs (not carpet)

The carpet on my stairs needs to be replaced with something other than carpet. The wood underneath isn't of stainable or paintable quality (some steps are cracked & most are riddled with nails), and the wooden stair nose under the carpet is rounded, making the installation of a stairnose difficult since hardwood & laminate stairnoses are made to fit on a 90-degree angle. The wood that is the step itself is encased in the stringer, and not removable. What are my options for coverings that are not carpet (prefer laminate) and what is the best way to install given the rounded stair nose on the existing wood?

Old 03-25-02, 08:48 PM
fsu_usmc
Visiting Guest
In the same boat

becter I am currently in the same boat I ripped out the carpet on my staircase. To my surprise my staircase is in 3 sections.

1. first 5 steps turn 90 degrees and are made of 2nd grade plywood

2. next six steps are made of yellow pine (would have been good quality for staining ( groved into 2X8 of clear fur WHICH THE IDIOT CONTRACTORS THAT BUILD MY HOUSE PAINTED WHITE)

3. LAST 3 steps turn 90 degrees and are made of 2nd grade plywood

redoing the 2 plywood sections is out of the question cost of ordering yellow pine to high. So I have decided to install Bruce Traffic zone laminate planks. I also have 1 1/2 -2 inches of overhang on each step. ( ROUNDED ON PINE, SQUARED ON PLY).
3/4 inches high . Most stairnose for laminates are 1/2 inches leaving an ugly gap.

I sawed off the overhang from the plywood sections and cut door skin sections to nail over the stair risings

I have had to carpenters come and give me estimates. and both told me that I could shave off the overhang on the yellow pine that by code the steps should be groved in a good 1/2" - 3/4" an that I could Nail the Landings to the rising for some extra stability.
I will be doing this sometime this week.

The reason for the door skin is to give me a smooth edge for the stairnose and I will be painting the rising WHITE and installing laminate flooring on the landing.

Let me know what progress you have made and I hope I have been able to give you some ideas

PS I will post a picture of my staircase

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: