outside wood floor

Old 03-19-02, 07:29 PM
richardsmurf
Visiting Guest
outside wood floor

wood (cypress) floor on back porch, new(am in process of building) it is covered by roof & screened in, need to know best product to protect floor. do not want to paint as we want to maintain the beauty of the cypress. understand that polyurethane cannot work outside. have polyurethane on cypress floors inside house and would like to have same "look". sealers do not give this appearance. HELP PLEASE

Old 03-19-02, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
richardsmurf,
I rarely recommend a polyurethane finish for outdoor floors. But since your floor are has a roof it will have decent protection from water and sun's uv. A marine spar urethane should work well.
fred

Old 03-20-02, 05:36 PM
richardsmurf
Visiting Guest
fewalt, thank you very much, I thought about using(and have already purchased a deck sealer. Someone else told me to put the sealer down and then over it with a shellac. What do any of you think
Richard

Old 03-20-02, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard,
Most sealers that are worth anything, will have a repellency to any thing else you might apply. And if by chance you bought Thompsons sealer it's worth about nothing. Some deck stains only recommend one coat due to the second coat not being able to absorb properly. Shellac will likely peel .
I'd still go with the marine spar - it has qualities which wil prevent it from peelng due to contracting/expanding in the weather.
fred

Old 03-26-02, 06:52 PM
richardsmurf
Visiting Guest
fewalt, wanted to thank you for information. bought the spar urethane, first 2 coats are on with 1 more tomorrow. looks great, just what we wanted. thank you very much.
smurf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: