Floor Refinishing

Old 03-20-02, 02:03 PM
turracem
Visiting Guest
Floor Refinishing

I am planning on refinishing my oak harwood floor. It is laid out in the hallway such that it runs perpendicular to the walls. If I run a drum sander over it, I would have to sand across the grain.

Should I use the drum sander across the grain? It is not a large hallway, so I thought maybe I could just use an edger for the entire hallway instead.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 03-21-02, 01:16 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
If using the edger would allow you to run with the grain of the wood, then I'd opt for that method.

Old 03-21-02, 04:13 AM
Viking Girl
Visiting Guest
I agree - use the edger - it takes a while but it's worth it.

Old 03-21-02, 07:54 AM
turracem
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses. When refinishing the floors is it essential to run a buffer over the floor after the sanding and between coates of finish?

Old 03-21-02, 12:24 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
You do not neccesarily have to use a buffer in between cots i use 220 grit paper and do it by hand in large areas you can use a maroon pad on the buffer in between coats

Old 03-21-02, 06:51 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finishing wood floors

Go to www.finishingwoodfloors.com for helpful info.

Old 03-22-02, 07:19 AM
Chowell
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by philntoni
You do not neccesarily have to use a buffer in between cots i use 220 grit paper and do it by hand in large areas you can use a maroon pad on the buffer in between coats
That is the question I have. The sanding on between polyU on a large floor surface should be done with "maroon pad" on the buffer. That is the name of the pad you ask for? I have done some hallways by hand sanding 220 grit but am afraid the buffer would be to aggressive since the coats are so thin.

Old 03-22-02, 09:58 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Most of your rental places don't stock a maroon pad but you will be able to get it from a hardwood flooring retailer what it is is a fine mesh that will rough up the poly that you have applied but not take it off. When you apply your first coat and let it dry over night it will be dry to the touch but not "cured" it generally takes 72 hours for poly to cure "harden like nail polish in a way" thats why you need to rough up the surface so that your next layer will adhear to the previous. the maroon pad is like a brillo pad or steel wool but less abrasive and tends not to haze the finish or leave scratch marks. there is a new procudt out by virginia abrasives that is called "blue magic " which is even better than the maroon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: