Filling cracks, sags in old OSB subfloor for laminate?

Old 03-20-02, 07:32 PM
lancehaynes
Visiting Guest
Filling cracks, sags in old OSB subfloor for laminate?

I recently tore down a wall between kitchen and
laundry room--now I want to put down a laminate
floor in the whole area. The rooms were built at
different times but both have OSB subfloors presently exposed. Two problems I would appreciate help with:

The floor beneath where the old wall was has a strip where old oak wall planks were cut off level
with the subfloor, more or less. There are several gaps to be filled and the two subfloors do not match exactly, varying, at some points, by as much as 1/4 inch. What sort of floor patch can I use that will adhere to OSB?

One of the two old floors sags in the middle about half an inch. Do I need to level this for
the laminate? Is there some kind of patch/filler
that I can use for this? Again, it must adhere to
OSB.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-21-02, 08:17 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Self leveling compound for sagging floors

There are self-leveling compounds available a home centers that can be used on wood. Go to www.ardex.com to learn more about these compounds. If your floor is sagging, you need to know why. You may have warped joists, or you may have some structural issues such as termite damaged or rotten joists. The joists in this area may need jacked up and additional beams run to provide more support. The sag in the floor will have to be addressed because the new floor covering will share the same sag.

Go to www.doityourself.com/laminate and www.azfred.com for some very helpful info on laminate floors. Always read and follow manufacturer's instructions carefully as each manufacturer tends to have their own requirements to maintain product warranties.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: