damaged hardwood floor

Old 03-21-02, 02:13 PM
allyjae
Visiting Guest
damaged hardwood floor

In my very small house, a previous owner allowed a big dog to urinate daily on a rug in a small bedroom. There is an area in the middle of the room about 6 by 8 feet in which the 50-year-old hardwood floor is dark brown, lifted, finish completely gone, and smells. It's a goner. In order to use the room we had to use a lot of deodorizing cleaner and cover it with a temporary rug, but when its damp outside, the whole house reeks. I cannot afford to replace it with hardwood floor. Any ideas? Can I pull it up, replace with plywood, and wall-to-wall carpet?

Old 03-21-02, 06:33 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pet urine damage to hardwood floor

The wood is beyond repair and should be removed. Once removed you will probably discover that the plywood beneath has been saturated with urine as well. Depending on the condition of the subfloor, it may be possible to clean and seal the plywood. Forum posters recommend Nature's Miracle or Odor Ban from Sam's Club for pet urine stains. These are enzyme digester cleaners like the pet mess cleaners from the pet stores. The cleaner should be applied, left to set to digest the stains. Repeat applications may be necessary. Once the subfloor is clean and thoroughly dry, you can seal with a couple coats of white shellac or a shellac based primer/sealer like B-I-N. Then install floor covering. If the subfloor is in as bad a condition as the hardwood in that area, then you may want to replace the affected sheets of plywood. Urine tends to settle downward and outward. The odor is most noticeable on more humid days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: