Ancient Hardwood Flooring

Old 03-24-02, 01:48 PM
telcoman
Visiting Guest
Ancient Hardwood Flooring

I own a 90 yr old home with very old hardwood floors. We recently ripped up the carpet and wanted to refinish these floors. The wood is in very poor condition, bone dry, some areas painted and wearing off, some termite damage. Some of the planks were cut and replaced with 12" wide pine boards. I tried removing a small section of plank to sand it down to see what it would look like. There is a thin layer of (dead?) wood on the surface. I have no idea what kind of wood it is. The boards range from 3 1/4, 3 3/8, and, 4 1/4 inches wide. There is NO subfloor!

1) How do I find planks to match and replace unusable planks?

2) How do I attach these planks without subflooring? Eventhough they would be attached to the floor joists, will they sag between them?

3) Am I wasting my time???

Last edited by telcoman; 03-25-02 at 03:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-02, 07:55 PM
Libor
Visiting Guest
Sounds very familiar. We pulled up several layers--new vinyl sheet flooring, THEN quarter-inch plywood subfloor, THEN 1950s green linoleum, THEN ripped off the remaining black mastic. At the very bottom were the pine floors dating back to 1913. We've laboriously drum-sanded this original floor and edge-sanded it. Polyurethaned it. And still, after all that, we're considering covering it up with subfloor and laying in new hardwood floor. We've tried living with the little warps and waves (and it tends to splinter). We've tried to convince ourselves that it's the right thing to do: to save the original floors. You may have a different experience, since you apparently have hardwood. But we've been there and back. Just something to consider. Good luck.

Old 03-27-02, 05:54 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing old wood floor

If more than just a few boards are involved, I would consider installing new hardwood over the old. Go to www.installingwoodfloors.com for helpful info.