Strap clamps: How???

Old 03-25-02, 07:45 PM
blairwag
Visiting Guest
Strap clamps: How???

I'm installing a Formica Laminated tile floating floor. All I've read suggests using stap clamps. I'm supposed to glue and clamp the first two rows (per AZFred). The tiles are all 23.85" square.
* Do I stap in both directions (90 degrees)???
* When I strap 2 glued tiles, do I wait 1.5 hours before removing the clamp to glue on the next tile (in the next row)???
* ...or do I remove the strap and glue in the next tiles (row) and quickly put the clamp back on (across all 3 or more tiles)?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-02, 05:24 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing laminate tiles

Each laminate manufacturer has their own specific installation instructions. Read and follow instructions carefully. Some manufacturers have their instructions posted on their website where you can also contact them. Go to www.azfred.com and www.doityourself.com/laminate for installation tips.

Old 03-27-02, 06:01 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
I understand the question and reason for it. Just use the straps one way but be careful. Lay out 3 rows with no glue and check for alignment and squareness. Then start the glued assembly, continue to be carful and keep the excess glue cleaned up with a very clean, often rinsed rag or cloth. Follow the manufacturers instructions and good luck with your project. The glue sets in 3 hours and cures in about 24 hours. You will need at least 4 clamps. The edges of the tiles are precision machined and assuming no defects alignment is not difficult to maintain.

Old 03-28-02, 05:14 AM
blairwag
Visiting Guest
Alright! AZFred, man, you're the best! Thanx also to Twelvepole for the response. So, just to be sure I've got it right, I'm going to lay out 3 rows of these 4' square tiles. I'll begin gluing as per Formica's instructions, and aply the strap clamps in the direction perpendicular to the complete rows. I'll allow the glue to set for 2-3 hours (Formica only recommends 1.5 hours) before removing a strap clamp - in order to install the next row.

I'll be very careful. Anything I've missed here?

Old 03-28-02, 07:15 AM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Please check the tile size and confirm what you have. 2' square or 1' X 4' planks with a tile "look" or something else. Thanks

Old 03-28-02, 09:25 AM
blairwag
Visiting Guest
Yes, the Formica laminated tiles (called warm white) are exactly 23.85" x 23.85". Rounding that up to 2' x 2' = 4 sqf, right? From what I've read, these are pretty rough to install, due to their size. Any extra tips? I begin tomorrow morning (God help me!).