Install Vinyl tile over a hardwood floor

Old 03-28-02, 08:24 PM
guitarplayerusa
Visiting Guest
Install Vinyl tile over a hardwood floor

My wonderful wife would like to install vinyl tile at the front entryway to our home. Right now, the entryway (4' x 6') has an old hardwood floor. How do I prepare this hardwood floor for the vinyl tiles? I plan to use the press and stick type of tiles. This floor used to have ceramic tiles on it, but I don't know if they were installed properly.
I really need help with this, as I only want to do this job once.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-02, 08:54 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing vinyl tiles

A successful vinyl tile installation requires a super smooth and clean surface to assure adhesion. Any imperfections will show through the vinyl and cause uneven wear. If you currently have old hardwood, then a plywood underlayment can be installed over it. Go to www.doityourself.com/vinylfloors for some very good installation instructions for self-adhesive vinyl tiles.

Old 03-31-02, 09:44 PM
1freehand
Visiting Guest
Why??? is the question I ask myself, would your wife want to install cheesy vinyl tile over a bona fide wood floor? I don't know what the architectural style of your house is, or what style you decorate in, but here's the compromise I offer: PAINT the wood floor! Paint a checkerboard on the diagonal! She gets the vinyl tile effect, you escape a potential installation and decorating booboo. Whatcha say?