Finishing wood parquet floor

Old 03-29-02, 06:41 PM
lilbritches65
Visiting Guest
Question Finishing wood parquet floor

We installed oak parquet (laminate?) flooring on concrete which is hot-water heated. My question is about finishing this to protect against damage, etc. What would be the best way to go? Some say gym seal, some polyurethane, and I saw a product specifically for wood floors I could get too. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-02, 04:13 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
so you didn't install traditional parquet ? is it a glue together laminate or a clik floor. In either case most laminates are prefinished and i don't see why you want to finish them need more info please

Old 03-30-02, 06:41 AM
lilbritches65
Visiting Guest
Smile More info

Sorry! Should've known...k...tongue and groove square tile-type that we glued down...has a finish but we were advised to put a coat of gym sealer down over the top to avoid crud collecting in the cracks and to protect it from harsh damage like roller blades, etc. from the kids. I've done 2 of 3 rooms with the seal and it is dull and lifeless and just wanted to know if there's something else that might work better in the larger 3rd room and/or as a topcoat in the other two as well. Thanks for the quick reply!! pat

Old 03-30-02, 01:28 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
I recomend lightly roughing the surface with 220 grit paper and try using a semi gloss either hellsman or minwax are really good also i just used an olympic high gloss on a bar that i refinished and it turned out awsome and is holding up really well you can also check out www.woodfloorsonline .com for other helpfull hints