laminate floor - softer?

Old 04-09-02, 10:07 PM
yulu
Visiting Guest
Question laminate floor - softer?

Hi - We're thinking of installing laminate floor in our small kitchen space. I like the durability very much, but am wary of 2 items: (1) moisture issue - i've heard that laminate reacts badly to moisture; and (2) these floors aren't great for standing on because they are so hard. Since I am a messy cook, I plan on spilling liquid and spending a lot of time on my feet.
How do I (if possible) make the floor more cushioned? I have seen the foam that you can put down, does this actually work?
Also, is moisture really a big issue?

yulu

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-02, 10:20 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
There are sponge rubber products that do a good job of making a hard floor more pleasent. Tranquility and Silent Walk are both good products that offer favorable test results. If you plan to flood your kitchen floor, or provde heavy spills, it will be better to not chose a wood or wood product for yor floor.

Old 04-09-02, 11:11 PM
yulu
Visiting Guest
well i certainly hope that my cooking doesn't cause flooding, but short of that hopefully the laminate will hold up. ) thanks for your advice!

Old 04-11-02, 05:11 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Selecting a kitchen floor

If spills and liquids are going to be an issue, then ceramic tile would be a more practical choice for a kitchen floor. As grout tends to be porous and absorbent of oils, soils, and stains, seal the grout with a couple coats of penetrating grout sealer. Follow manufacturer's recommendations for application and reapplication. Moisture is the Achilles Heel of laminate floors as well as solid wood floors. Standing liquids can damage your floor covering. All spills should be wiped up immediately. Take care not to overwet floors when cleaning. Cleaning products are best sprayed onto the mop rather than the floor. Follow manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning and maintenance to avoid voiding manufacturer's warranties.