remove flooring - newbie

Old 04-10-02, 05:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remove flooring - newbie

Hi: I am a newbie to this board but have used this type of board on other forums. I did a search but did not find what I was looking for.

My wife and I are buying a house in MA and are working on it now before we close. We remove a whole ton of stuff, walls, windows, doors, cabinets, oil tank, elec service.....etc This weekend I am removing the 2 layers of stick down flooring from the kitchen. The bottom layer is thehuge sheet type (from 1950s) and the top layer is glued to the sheet type in the 12inch squares type. (I am not up on my flooring types obviously)

OK, what is the best way to take up both layers and get to the subfloor below? It looks like a tedious job but I want to make a nice clean wood surface for me to put down nice kitched tiling.

Thanks for any help you can provide and I promise to help out with other peoples questions as I use this site. Peace: e3 - spamman

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-02, 05:06 PM
T
Removing old floor covering

A major concern in removing old floor covering is asbestos. If old floor coverings and adhesives contain asbestos it is best to encapsulate them with a new floor covering in order to seal them off or to hire a certified asbestos remover to remove the product. Go to www.doityourself.com/home-safety/asbestos.htm to get info about an asbestos test kit.

Old 04-12-02, 05:25 AM
S
Thats an interesting point. I would not have thought asbestos was used in the fabrication of flooring tiles. Was this done on a certain type of flooring and is apparent simply by looking or bringing a piece to a Home Depot or something? I am under the gun to get this done so really want to expedite matters. The dumpster is coming tomorrow as well and I need to get rid of it all this weekend.

Thanks for your help. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 04-12-02, 06:40 AM
T
Asbestos in floor covering

Asbestos was added to vinyl tiles and to backing on vinyl floor coverings to strength flooring and to make it resistant to humidity, scratches, and scuff marks. Asbestos is not harmful unless it is disturbed. You can not look at a product and determine if it contains asbestos. Asbestos fibers are microscopic. Sanding or any other activity that may tear or damage the floor covering should be avoided. Many older adhesives also contained asbestos.

It is recommended that a professional asbestos remover be used to remove floor covering containing asbestos. They have the proper protection and equipment to do so and will properly dispose of the floor covering.

Once the fibers are released into the air, these particles are inhaled into the lungs. The lungs can become scarred and result in breathing problems, cancer, or heart failure. Mesothelioma, a rare cancer of the lining of the chest and abdomen, has been associated with asbestos exposure.

The only way to be sure that your floor covering does not contain asbestos is to have it tested.

Old 04-12-02, 06:49 AM
S
Twelvepole: I completely understand the ramifications of asbestos. I am a ceramic engineer (materials). That is why I want to take this seriously. I was hoping we could identify whether asbestos is present based on the time/manufacturer of the material in question. Otherwise I believe I may be able to have Boston University test it using (SEM) or some other material analysis method. I called Home Depot and was suprised to find they do NOT have a way to test this. That would be a huge service for people like me doing home improvement.

I had planned to remove the flooring tomorrow but I may re-distribute my plans to get it tested and/or professionally done.

Whom would I contact in the Boston MA area for a removal quote? Is price based on square footage only or level of glue used on the flooring?

Thanks for all your help. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 04-12-02, 05:17 PM
T
Asbestos removal

Call your Regional EPA Office. You can also go to www.epa.gov/iaq/asbesstos.html for contact info. Vinyl floor covering products manufactured after WWII and prior to the 1980's legislation that outlawed the use of asbestos, tended to contain asbestos. Without knowing the name of the manufacturer of the floor covering product and the adhesive used, there is no way of knowing if asbestos is present without a test.