Pulling up old Carpet, and fixing a Counter Top

Old 04-12-02, 10:23 AM
Mbarn05
Visiting Guest
Question Pulling up old Carpet, and fixing a Counter Top

I am moving into a Condo in a couple of weeks and have decided to replace the carpet. I will have to rip out the old carpet and pad before they put the new carpet in. My question is What is the best way to pull the old carpet up and what tools should I use? Also we will be on the ground level so is it a good Idea to use some kind of a disinfectant on the ground after pulling the carpet out?

Also we have a bar/counter top that is coming up how would I go about repairing it? Do I just glue it down?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-02, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Easiest way to get the old carpet out is to take a good sharp utility knife (you'll need some extra blades) and cut it in long narrow strips, about 3' wide then roll them up and carry out. Makes it easier for the trash guys, too.

What is your countertop/bar made of and define "coming up".

Old 04-12-02, 06:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing plastic laminate countertop

Damage to plastic laminate countertops due to heat or moisture tends to be permanent. Moisture penetration along mitres tends to be a common problem, causing particleboard to swell and laminate to lift and cup along the joint. If the problem is simply a situation where not enough adhesive was applied, then injecting some laminate adhesive beneath the lifted laminate might resolve your problem. Sometimes end caps come lose and they can be reglued as well.