pet stains on wood floors

Old 04-18-02, 05:53 AM
Joey2
Visiting Guest
pet stains on wood floors

The previous owner had dogs, cats and a ferret which were all "indoor" pets. I sanded the floors with a drum last winter. Now that the humidity is back the floors are wicking moisture from the air and reactivating the urine. I have used Nature Miracle on the stains. I want to refinish the floors now that I can leave the house during drying. But, this wicking has me concerned. Will sealing the floors solve this problem? And putting a moisture barrier in the basement ceiling? I noticed the one room that I wasn't able to sand has the same problem. The finish is wet. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-02, 12:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing urine stains from wood floors

Water and water-based cleaning products are not recommended for wood floors because of the potential for discoloration and swelling of the wood. The enzyme cleaners that forum members recommend for pet stain and odor removal are water-based and are not recommended for hardwood floors. Many floor refinishers will not refinish wood floors with urine stains because sanding activates the ammonia in the urine and is literally breathtaking. If urine stains have penetrated deep into the wood, sanding will not remove the stains. If stains are removed, refinishers state that the stains can resurface. They can however sometimes be successfully disguised with a dark wood stain. If urine has penetrated to the subfloor below, there is no way to treat the unexposed areas. Sealing the floor with the finish product will seal odors into wood, but it will not help with odors in the subfloor. Pets often spray baseboards and walls and these areas are also affected. Manufacturers of ozone machines claim that these will purify the air and help with odors in unexposed areas. These machines can be purchased or rented. A fluorescent black light is helpful in locating urine stains and odors that are not readily visible. Turn out the lights and turn on the black light. Stains will show up bright yellow.