removing old flooring

Old 04-24-02, 11:03 PM
teesa
Visiting Guest
Question removing old flooring

I've officially begun my do-it-yourself wood laminate flooring project (and I am truly a beginner do-it-yourselfer) by removing the old flooring (and I have just started!) I have carpet throughout the house, linoleum in the kitchen. That is proving to come up fairly easy, but was laid on particle board which will need to be taken up as well. My main question: is there a secret to removing the carpet tack strips? I'm finding it to be very slow and tedious. Ideas or thoughts?
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-02, 05:00 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing tack strips

A small pry bar will pop up the tack strips. There are wood laminate products that can be floated in over subfloor and old vinyl, eliminating the need for vinyl removal, particle board replacement, gluing and making for an easier installation.

Old 04-25-02, 05:40 AM
teesa
Visiting Guest
Vinyl removal, particle board removal

Thank you, twelvepole, for your very fast reply! I had a wall removed to open up the kitchen area and the particle board had been laid in the kitchen to raise the flooring to the level of the carpeting. I'm laying the laminate flooring throughout the main level (not the bathrooms) so would like a continuous flow wherever possible.

Old 04-25-02, 05:49 AM
S
Teesa: No fair. I am removing 2 layers of old laminate flooring that is VERY WELL stuck down. I am using a heat gun and one of those valuable small prybar and a chisel. My hands look like they were shot with a shotgun. I was going to put down hardy backer board over everything and then tile but found out this would significantly raise the height of the floor to the rest of the level. Because the yoyos before me did that already and it is already high. Oh well. I wish you more luck than I had.

Like he said on the tack strips. The small prybar is a wonder tool. Especially for molding, mails, tack strips, window removal....... You can also use a claw hammer to "grab" the ends of the tack strips to get them up quickly too. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 04-27-02, 08:36 AM
T
Installing laminate

Go to www.doityourself.com/laminate and www.azfred.com for helpful info and installation tips. Each laminate manufacturer tends to have its own specific installation instructions. Read and follow directions carefully to maintain product warranties.