What type of nailer to use??

Old 04-25-02, 08:36 AM
bobby38
Visiting Guest
What type of nailer to use??

I'm about to install my new 2 1/4 x 3/4 pre-finished tongue in groove strip flooring. I want to use a pneumatic nailer. I want to make a right decision in which one to use. I will be using 2 inch nails, but do I use a brad nailer or a finish nailer? Both seem that they can do the job, but many of the finish nailers are the angled kind which SEEMS to me that it would be easier to use since the 45 degree angle is already there to properly align the nail through the nail pocket within the tongued section of the strip.

I want to make the better decision. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-02, 09:22 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You really won't get a good job with the finish nailer. Look to a local tool rental place for the Bostich floor nailer. It will do the job the right way.

Old 04-26-02, 03:30 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
gary is right when we install hardwood we use a bostich nailer with 2 in staples www.woodfloorsonline.com has some helpfull info also

Old 04-26-02, 05:43 AM
bobby38
Visiting Guest
I want to thank both of you, garywms and philntoni, for your helpful insight. My neighbor actually has the Bostitch Wood Floor Nailer (Model # MFN200) and is lending it to me. It's what I was going to originally use, but thought the others would save time. Not worth it at all since rental for pneumatic nailers was $60 a day with compressor, and it still wasn't the desired approach anyway. I'm going to use the 2 inch cleats with the Bostitch nailer.

My thanks again.

Bob

Old 05-08-02, 08:34 AM
bobby38
Visiting Guest
Having a difficult time with manual nailer

I thought the manual nailer would be easy. Maybe for the pros, it really is. However, as a novice, I can't seem to get the perfect strike to appropriately sink the 2" cleat into the boards. As a result, I have to twist the head of the cleat off, countersink the rest of the cleat into the board, then hand nail and sink a 2" 6D finishing nail through the tongue to further support it. I'll get 3 cleats in a row in without a problem, then miss 2, get 2. Frustrating and time consuming. On the plus side, what I've completed so far looks very good. On the downside, I'm fixing too many boards, it's taking me a very long time, am worried I may do damage that will take me back days worth of work. So far, it's taken me 20 total hours to do a 24' x 2.5' section.

Not that I'm giving up on this installation method, but are there other suitable options? I know I've mentioned this in my previous post, but I've seen some flooring websites that discuss pneumatic nailers. If this is a possible option, what pneumatic nailers should I be looking at, and with what type of nails?

Help! I know I can hire someone to do the rest, but to be quite honest, other than this stumbling block, I have really enjoyed this project and don't want to give it up.

My thanks in advance.

Bob

Old 05-08-02, 09:11 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bostich also makes a Pneumatic version of the nailer. Won't want to buy it. Try some rental places. You would also have to rent a compressor if you don't have one already. It's the Bostich MIIIFN