Refinishing-how many times?

Old 04-26-02, 12:50 PM
Glenda Bailey
Visiting Guest
Refinishing-how many times?

How many times can you refinish (sand and refinish) a hardwood floor before you are taking a chance on the nails popping up?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-02, 03:13 AM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
If it's a solid 3/4" tongue and groove floor chances are great you won't be around to sand down to the nailing area, as it will take approx 1/4" to reach. I'd have to take a guess and say one would be safe with 4-5 complete refinishings but probably more depending on how much material is taken off during each time.

Now if we're talking about an engineered floor that would be an entirely different situation as some cheapies can only withstand one complete finishing.

Old 04-27-02, 08:31 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing wood floors

Go to www.finishingwoodfloors.com for helpful info.

Old 04-27-02, 10:50 AM
Glenda Bailey
Visiting Guest
Refinishing-how many tims

I went to the website that was listed in my second reply. I did not see an answer there.
This is a new house, but the whitewashed floor was redone three times since we moved in. Deep sanded. The floor the last time was sanded in a circular motion by the man and it has waves in it and you can see the patterns of the way that he ruined the floor by sanding it to try to get the grain down which they raised. Also, his machine was not calibrated properly and it left grooves. I need to know how many times the floor can be redone before we are facing ripping it out. Desperate....Glenda Bailey

Old 04-27-02, 12:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinishing wood floors

If you have solid hardwood, you can sand until you get down to the tongue and groove. Once you are down to the tongue and groove, then that's it. A professional refinisher removes as little wood as possible. Using a drum sander eliminates the swirls. Floors that are in otherwise good condition do not require sanding unless you wish to change the stain color. The finish is 'screened' and new coats of polyurethane applied. The number of times a floor can be sanded depends on how much wood was removed in the past. Floors that are dented or gouged require removing more wood to acquire a smooth surface. There is no exact number for the number of times a floor can be sanded. Articles about sanding tend to report varying numbers. With proper care, a hardwood floor should last 200+ years as evidenced in historic homes.

Old 04-27-02, 03:18 PM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
Glenda:

If you have any HVAC vents in the floor itself you could pull the grate off and see how much material is left for sanding. Otherwise you could remove a piece of trim material and place a small mirror in the expansion gap area for a looksee. Just my thoughts. Hope this makes sense?