Level floor before drywalling?

Old 04-28-02, 06:17 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Level floor before drywalling?

I am finishing the basement in an older (1925) home. The concrete floor is quite uneven and I know I have to level it before I install the laminate flooring. My question: Should I level it before I drywall, after, or does it really make a difference?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-02, 09:08 PM
T
Leveling basement floor before drywalling

Address the floor issues first before beginning the walls. Go to www.ardex.com to see self-leveling compounds. Click the Product Catalog.

Check with local authorities regarding permits, building codes, and inspections before beginning your project.

Old 04-28-02, 09:10 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
For ease of installation I would level and then put up the dry wall. There could be enough SLC material added at some point that the dry wall sheet would need to be cut shorter. There is also a possibility of greater risk of mold if the bottom of the dry wall is trapped below the floor surface. Hold the dry wall short at the base it allows for floor expansion and ventiation. Will the basement floor be able to drain if your hot water heater bursts or the laundry overflows?

Old 04-28-02, 09:32 PM
T
Installing laminate

Each laminate manufacturer tends to have its own specific instructions for surface prep and installation. Read and follow directions carefully to maintain product warranties. Go to www.doityourself.com/laminate and www.azfred.com for additional info and installation tips.