cupping of pine flooring

Old 04-30-02, 03:49 PM
csroy
Visiting Guest
cupping of pine flooring

I have installed southern yellow pine flooring. The boards are 6" boards. I put 5 coats of oil based polyeurethane one. The boards now feel like they are cupping. The boards were face nailed. Are they indeed cupping or did i put too much poly on and the poly maybe ran into the cracks creating i high middle and a thin edge? Is there an answere for this so as though i do not get this result again? I did leave space at the walls edge for expansion. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-02, 07:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cupping of wood flooring

Jobs I have inspected where wood flooring has cupped include failure to properly acclimate the kiln-dried wood flooring for several days to temperature and humidity levels of the home with doors and windows installed and HVAC running with temperature humidity at occupancy levels. One job had 12" of standing water in the crawl space with no foundation ventilation. Another was over a newly poured concrete basement. Yet, another did not allow for any expansion joint around the perimeter of the walls.

Wood is kiln-dried to a very low moisture level. Acclimation for several days to the temperature and humidity levels of the area into which it is being installed is important. There should be no standing water in crawl spaces. There should be adequate foundation ventilation with no dead air spaces. Soil in crawl space area should be covered with polyethylene moisture retarder to prevent moisture from invading the flooring. If installed over basement area, the basement moisture and humidity levels should be under control and no concrete poured after the flooring is installed. Adequate expansion joints should be allowed around the perimeter of the flooring material.

Go to www.installingwoodfloors.com for FAQs and Technical Manual for wood floor installations.

Old 05-01-02, 04:03 AM
csroy
Visiting Guest
We actually had the flooring in the house for 8 days or so. This room is on the second floor. Could there be another reason. May this affect just be from all the coats of poly? Thanks for your response

Old 05-01-02, 03:07 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cupping of flooring

http://www.southernpine.com/flooringguide9.htm for troubleshooting buckling and cupping in southern pine floors