Hardwood Floor repair

Old 05-07-02, 06:37 AM
Anneli Kirby
Visiting Guest
Hardwood Floor repair

I had a pipe burst in my bathroom and water flooded out of my bathroom into my hallway and on to my wood floors. A couple days later I noticed some buckling in the hallway. It is probable about a 5foot area that is showing damage. My question is, do I need to replace or sand the whole floor or do you think I could just sand that area. The buckling is only noticeable when you walk on it bearfoot. I appreciate any help thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-02, 01:05 PM
Libor
Visiting Guest
Do you know what kind of subfloor you have? If it's plywood, it should be able to withstand some minor amounts of water (though this sounds anything but minor) and return to normal. If it's this composite wood (the kind that looks like wood chips glued together), that stuff is notorious for behaving just the way you describe: bulges and humps caused by water that just won't go away. Give it some time. If no change, you may have to pull up the floor and replace the subfloor.

Old 05-07-02, 02:09 PM
Anneli Kirby
Visiting Guest
I don't believe we have the composite subfloor. Our house was built in 1945 so I'm not sure what was common then. I haven't seen anything that looks like wood chips.