Wood in the Desert?

Old 05-07-02, 07:40 AM
Brian E
Visiting Guest
Question Wood in the Desert?

I was thinking about doing hardwood (parquet tiles) in the kitchen and entryway. I went to Home Depot here in Las Vegas and the lady there told me it was not recommended because the climate is too dry.

She said that it would be a problem, because the boards would warp or something and the floor would require a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good.

Does anyone know about this? I just wanted to check before I look into ceramic tile. I'd really prefer hardwood, but not if it's going to look crappy after a couple years. and I'd rather do ceramic than pergo or any kind of laminate wood.

has anyone had a good or bad experience with hardwood floors in a very dry climate?

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-02, 06:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwood in the desert

Parquet tiles aren't as popular as they once were. Many manufacturers, distributors, and dealers have dropped them from their product lines. Engineered (wood laminate) floors are very dimensionally stable and might better meet your needs. They are not subject to expansion/contraction problems associated with solid hardwood flooring. They will however need to be properly acclimated to the temperature and humidity conditions of your home before installation. The better quality products have at least 1/8" real wood veneer over 3-5 plys of wood. The more plys the better. Finish warranties can be as much as 25 years. Go with a manufacturer that has a large display rack featuring the good, better, and best levels of quality. As the quality and warranties go up, so does the price.