Wood floors

Old 05-13-02, 08:25 AM
Bambi Cleary
Visiting Guest
Wood floors

we purchased a home built in the 20's and it has wood floor and hot water heat. Unfortunatley one of the radiators sprung a leak and the water set on the floor for a period of time and has warped the boards. My question is how difficult is this to replace and match the wood to the remainer of the floor. Also can we obtain the items necessary do it yourself store Ex: Lowes menards. We dont want to replace the whole floor due to the cost.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-02, 03:50 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
It is very hard to match up new flooring with old i suggest that you find an area in the home to remove flooring from for the repairs ie a closet a bedroom that has carpet etc. otherwise it will look really out of place...

Old 05-15-02, 08:23 PM
Upercy
Visiting Guest
I just replaced five boards in my 1850's farmhouse with great success! After removing the old ugly and worn asbestos flooring, we were pleased to find a beautiful hardwood floor underneath except that 5 of the boards were rotted. We removed them and used 4 unfinished new boards and 1 old board from my mom's garage to replace. We stained the boards as close as possible to match the mahogany color of the existing boards and although there is a slight difference, it is hardly noticeable. We finished by putting on clear marine spar varnish. (Of course the boards were next to the wall...if yours are in the middle...you might think twice).