90 degree floor joists

Old 05-14-02, 07:47 AM
billnj
Visiting Guest
Question 90 degree floor joists

I'm putting in a 3/4", 3 1/4 strip floor. I read everything that I could, bought the floor and was ready to go. The floor will cover two bedrooms and a hallway that connects them. The plan I had was to start at the hallway and go into the two bedrooms. After pulling up the carpet, I realized that the floor joists run in different directions between these locations. The main bedroom 12x16 has a small hallway that leads out to the main hallway. The floor joists of the small hallway run the same direction of the hallway and the 2nd bedroom. The main bedroom joists are perpendicular to everything else. I wanted to do this without a threshold. Even if I use a threshold at the door (and then change directions by 90 degrees), the small hallway inside the main bedroom will still be parallel with the joists. I assume that the T&G ends should not be placed 90 degrees to each other because the wood will expand differently in horizontal/vertical directions. Is there an acceptable practice here? Any suggestions without going diagonal?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-02, 01:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing hardwood floors

It is recommended that hardwood flooring be installed perpendicular to the floor joists.

"Changing Directions: If it becomes necessary to continue the floor in the reverse direction, (e.g. through a doorway) or away from the groove, you will need to use a spline tongue. Apply glue to the groove, then insert the spline tongue, converting the groove-side of the plank to a tongue. This will allow you to continue in this direction and still attach the boards by tapping the tongue."
http://www.kahrs.com/nail.html (Retrieved 05/18/02)

I recently spoke with someone who had a similar situation as yours as well as out of square rooms. They opted to install the wood diagonally.

Old 05-20-02, 08:30 AM
lanem
Visiting Guest
I live in a 120 yr old Victorian in which I am installing new hardwood floors over the original subfloor. The original subfloor is made up of oak strips (3 in wide) laid perpendicular to the Floor joists. Should I lay the new floor perpendicular to the joists or to the subfloor strips? I was planning on laying perpendicular to the strips for added strenght and stability.

Old 05-20-02, 02:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing wood floors

It is recommended that hardwood floors be installed perpendicular to the joists. The weight of the subfloor plus the hardwood flooring are best supported if installed perpendicularly across the joists.

Click the following for installation procedures and tips from the Technical Manual of the National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's Association:

http://www.installingwoodfloors.com