wood floor installation

Old 05-16-02, 02:38 PM
joanne_dn
Visiting Guest
Question wood floor installation

I'm just about ready to begin nail down installation of 3/4" solid oak flooring. Any ideas on the best way to lay out the work lines so my first row goes in nice and straight. It's a very straight- forward rectangular room, with no irregular sections. I plan to start near a long exterior wall. I've read tons of info on starting the layout, but I'm still not sure since I've come across quite a few different methods.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-02, 04:29 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Starting rows

measure out from the wall 15 3/4 in on each corner and snap a chalk line measure back from the chalk line 13 1/4 in on each end and snap another line. this will give you a 1/4 in expansion gap and you start your 1st row on the chalk line you measured back to. for more info go to www.finishingwoodfloors.com

Old 05-17-02, 02:40 AM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
It looks like Phil may be referring to a gluedown installation. As far as a naildown allow at least 1/2"(expansion) from the wall for the starter row. Take a piece of material with tongue side facing out and mark where the tongue lies on the felt or rosin paper. In the case of 2 1/4" material the distance should be approx 2 15/16" Do this in two areas along the starter wall, then snap a chalk line and check for squareness on the opposite wall.

Find the straightest and longest boards in the bunch for the first few rows. The same holds true for the finishing rows on the other side as they will be hand/face nailed.

Good Luck