Which wood floors to choose???

Old 05-20-02, 02:12 PM
amccavitt
Visiting Guest
Arrow Which wood floors to choose???

Hello. I am about to make the decision to install wood floors in the living room instead of replacing the carpet. I just have a few questions...

1. I know there is the Engineered floors, and then the Solid nail down only floors. Is there a huge diff in the two?

2. I went to Home Depot, and seen their selection of Engineered tongue and groove floorings. I did a search and found several other manufacturers on the net. Such as www.directwood.com. They seem to have good products. Compared to others, how does the wood floors at Homedepot compare ? Is there a better one out there?

3. If I do the glue down flooring, on a scale of 1 to 10, about how hard is this process. I just installed some self adhesive tile, and to me was pretty tedious, but somewhat simple. Is it worth it to have someone do it? If so, any recommendations in the Atlanta area?

4. If i do this,,and i but up against the wall, or fireplace, do i just use some kind of baseboard to cover up the edge?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-02, 02:52 PM
jay21
Visiting Guest
1. largest diff is composition and cost.
2. i bought the cheapest out there and am very pleased with fit and finish
3.yes it is tedious, you'll need table saw, hand saw and would reccomend a coping saw and rasp
4.you'll leave a gap as specified by manuf (usually 1/4") and cver that by using 1/4 round base of your choice.

take your time and plan ahead and i think you'll be very pleased with the outcome.

Old 05-21-02, 03:48 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Engineered versus solid hardwood

Once engineered wood floors are installed, you really can't tell the difference from solid hardwood. Engineered wood floors offer greater dimensional stability in that they are not subject to the expansion and contraction associated with temperature and humidity changes that affect solid hardwood. This makes it possible for them to be installed over concrete floors in basements, where solid hardwood is not recommended.

Engineered wood floors have a veneer of finished wood over 3 to 5 layers of plywood. The thicker the veneer (nothing less than 1/8") and the more layers beneath, the better. Some engineered products have such a thin veneer layer that they can not be refinished. Better products can be refinished.

Manufacturers of flooring products tend to offer good, better, best levels of qualities and warranties. They are, of course, priced accordingly. It is recommended that you purchase from a reputable dealer that has several quality and price levels from which to choose. Comparison shopping will quickly reveal the differences in products and prices.

DIYers tend to report that the floating floors offer easier installation than than products that require nails, glue, or staples. Following manufacturer's installation instructions carefully is very important to maintaining product warranties.

http://www.wfca.org/flooringguide/guide.asp?tp=3&pg=1

http://www.installingwoodfloors.com/...tallation.html

http://www.woodfloorsonline.com/tech...nstallfin.html

The manufacturer of your flooring product should offer moldings, trims, and transitional pieces required to finish your job. Existing baseboards can be removed and replaced or reinstalled after the flooring is installed and molding to cover the expansion gap along walls. A template can be made and a board cut to match the outline of a stone or irregularly shaped hearth.