Urgent: Best way to match older oak floors

Old 05-23-02, 06:34 AM
VinKev
Visiting Guest
Urgent: Best way to match older oak floors

HI
I'm expanding a room and need to match the 50 year old oak wood flooring and I'm concerned with how to proceed. Does anyone have some tips on how to do this.

Old 05-23-02, 08:47 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
This is routine for a professional. A high degree of skill obtained over long periods of time by furniture refinishers, cabinet makers and specialized finishing experts will succeed in an exact match. A DIY may succeed and has an equal or greater probability of total failure. Contact a pro.

Old 05-24-02, 08:02 PM
Dale Fan
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem earlier this year. My house is 35 years old and we needed to extend the existing hardwood floor about 7 feet (by 14 feet across). My floor was composed entirely of "shorts" and I was also concerned about the match. I went to a local building recycler and bought used flooring. I chemicaly stripped my existing floor, laid the new (used) wood and then sanded the whole thing as normal. Started with 36 grit to even the used strips and blend them into the existing floor, and worked my way up thru the finial screening. I used no stain, just Varathane poly over the raw wood and am very happy. No one that didn't see it before believes it was not installed at the same time. Hint: in the event you can't find used flooring localy new wood will produce the sme results. Good luck!!

Old 05-24-02, 08:03 PM
Dale Fan
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem earlier this year. My house is 35 years old and we needed to extend the existing hardwood floor about 7 feet (by 14 feet across). My floor was composed entirely of "shorts" and I was also concerned about the match. I went to a local building recycler and bought used flooring. I chemicaly stripped my existing floor, laid the new (used) wood and then sanded the whole thing as normal. Started with 36 grit to even the used strips and blend them into the existing floor, and worked my way up thru the finial screening. I used no stain, just Varathane poly over the raw wood and am very happy. No one that didn't see it before believes it was not installed at the same time. Hint: in the event you can't find used flooring localy new wood will produce the same results. Good luck!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: