wheelchair ramp

Old 05-27-02, 05:31 AM
bigdaddy
Visiting Guest
wheelchair ramp

hope someone can help. I just accepted the job to build a wheelchair ramp for my sister who's husband just found out he has cancer. The trouble is I don't know where to begin. How do I get started?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-02, 06:03 AM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure that this is the best forum for your question. That said, more information will me needed and I'm am sure you will get the help that you need. Interior or exterior? What are the conditions of the area where the ramp will be installed/built? Conditions such as garage into house, or sidewalk to porch and what is the elevation difference of the two (if two) levels? What are the surfaces at each level etc.. Have you searched the Internet on the ADA or Americans with Disabilities Act for info?

Old 05-27-02, 07:23 AM
bigdaddy
Visiting Guest
see I told you I didn't know where to begin. the ramp is going to the front door where there is 2 step up from the side walk. there is around 25 feet from a fence to the steps. I was afraid there was not going to be enough room to make it long enough. I will try looking at the disibility act to get more info. proberly till I actually get there to get exact measurments, its gonna be kinda hard to figure it out. Thanks for responding.

Old 05-27-02, 09:12 AM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
A good place to start is with the city planning and zoning or building department. There may "setback" requirements that need to be delt with or resolved depending on local codes. ADA will kick in to allow your ramp, I'm sure, but getting the local government involved or at least off your back is a good thing.

Old 05-27-02, 10:55 AM
bigdaddy
Visiting Guest
thanks for your advise. it sure looks like I have some work to do prior to starting any construction. thanks again

Old 05-27-02, 12:09 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts