problem with stairs

Old 05-30-02, 07:16 AM
DanielleY
Visiting Guest
problem with stairs

Good morning, I was searching for a solution to a problem I am having with my stairway, we pulled up old, worn carpeting on the staiway in our home, we are going to stain them on the top and paint them white on the kickplates(dont know the technical term for those) our problem is this, there is a gap where the wall and the stair meet( about a 1/2 inch ) what and how do we fix that, that gap is repeated on all 13 steps. If anyone has any tips or pointers it would be greatly appreciated. any advive on doing this project is most welcome. If I dont find a solution I believe my spouse has the staple gun handy, and is at the ready to just tack the carpet back upI may have to hide the staples!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-02, 07:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covering gaps on stairs

If you are handy with a mitre saw, you could cover the gaps with a quarter round.

Old 05-31-02, 09:16 AM
RobtWagner
Visiting Guest
Painting stairs

I think by your discription, the gap was cut between the step and the wall as a place to stuff the edge of the carpeting in. You can fill this with wood filler, or other matterial (that will get hard) before painting. If there is a gap in the portion you intend to leave wood grain I don't have many ideas. Maybe a strip of wood to fill the gap.

Good luck

Robert Wagner

Old 05-31-02, 03:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gaps in wood

Because of expansion and contraction of wood, fillers in gaps between boards tend to fail.