cement

Old 06-03-02, 08:27 AM
geristakes
Visiting Guest
cement

Considering removing carpeting from existing family room and laying wood floor. What would be the best type of flooring over cement? We were told that a floating floor (like Pergo) would be best over a cement floor, is that true?

Also, we have tile in all of our other rooms that meet the new floor. How do you meet a new wood floor to tile flooring?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-02, 09:37 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing floating floor over concrete

Do a moisture test on the concrete. Tape an 18"x18" piece of thin clear plastic near the edge of the subfloor. Leave 24 hours and check for condensation. If you have moisture, the moisture issues need to be addressed before beginning the flooring project.

"Laying Over Concrete Floors
When installing laminate over concrete floors you must always use a polyethylene film as a vapour barrier. Lay the film with at least 20cm overlaps at the seams. The film should not be installed on top of wood floors or other organic flooring. We stock high quality polyethylene films that are suitable for all laminate makes, however if you are installing Pergo flooring you will neeed to use there own make. If you use another manufacturers film it may invalidate the guarantee." Aspen Flooring. Retrieved 04 June 2002. http://www.aspen-laminate-wood-floor...al_general.htm

Pergo is one of many plastic laminate products available today. There are also many wood laminate products. If you are considering a laminate floor you will find helpful info at http://www.azfred.com/ and http://www.doityourself.com/laminate/

Most manufacturers offer transitional pieces and trims for their floor covering products. You will need a transitional piece between two different types of flooring.

Old 06-11-02, 01:39 AM
jujusma
Visiting Guest
concrete to wood

I'm in the process of doing exactly what you're asking, all by myself. I am fortunate enough to have access to a 'high-end' (museums and such) flooring contractor who is guiding me. I didn't like the sound of, or the life limit of Pergo so decided to go with solid Santos mahogany plank. Also, it was half the price of the Pergo! It came from IHFINC.com and is milled with intent of gluing down. It was featured on Michael Holligan's show.
Anyway, John told me to use Bostik's Best flooring adhesive to first lay cheap congoleum and then use the adhesive again to lay the flooring on top. That's 3 layers of moisture barrier already. Congoleum can be bought mismatched for less than $2sf if you offer to take remnants. Lumberliquidators sells Bostik's cheaper than wholesale and it is a superb product. I'd be happy to muddle through with you if you decide to go the same route. Jaye

Old 06-11-02, 03:02 AM
Ken fisher
Visiting Guest
"Lumberliquidators sells Bostik's cheaper than wholesale"

I'd like to see that when I have the time. Gotta go.

Old 06-12-02, 01:47 AM
Ken fisher
Visiting Guest
Adhesive

Maybe I won't get a response on this one, but I sure would like to hear more. Bostik actually has <b> five<b> types of hardwood flooring adhesives. If the EFA type was suggested for this particular job I'd be calling them immediately.